My psychology on Horrible Histories

I somewhat feel like talking about the educational effects about one of my favourite TV shows - Horrible Histories.

Whilst I understand that everyone is not a fan of kids' educational TV shows on CBBC, there is absolutely no need to be criticising other people, (especially grown ups) by telling them that it's "childish". Because, in my opinion, I still find this programme very helpful, as well as very funny in some parts. I'll further explain more into that...
  

Why do I find this programme educational?

In each episode, they talk about a vary of 4 different era's, which all consist from the before 21st century that we live in today.

I like how during these historical topic discussions, they use actors/actresses to do a role play, of what these type of historical people were like back in their century.  Let's talk about the Tudors for example... 

I'm sure most of you may have been taught about them already, so I'll give out a short explanation... They were strict people, who had silly policies. One of them being that you had to poop outside in public. The whole role play idea, makes the show enjoyable in my eyes.

In addition to this question, Horrible Histories have their own sister show, which is called: Horrible Histories Gory Games. It is classed as a kids quiz game show, as the presenter, (Dave Lamb) does 3 quiz rounds with 3 contestants, with added 4 practical games after each round. After, they reveal the earned scores, to see who has the highest. I honestly think, this just proves how successful and educational this programme actually is from what I make of it. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to every kid who want to learn about history, but in a comical way.


How does the presenting make the programme fun to watch?

As I previously mentioned about the acting involved in this programme, they sometimes throw in comedy parts, which encourages the TV audience to see the funny side of the story role play, as they can be silly, as well as interesting to learn more about. Essentially, by making it a family friendly show.  Some of these comedy role play scenes, can be taken from the already popular TV programmes. Such as: Britain's Got Talent, The X Factor, BBC News, The Great British Bake Off and even BBC Sport!

Still in relations to comedy though, there is a puppet rat involved named: Rattus Rattus. He would pop up every now and again during the show role plays, to inform the TV audience about if a told fact really is true? Or if something totally bizarre really did happen back in then?

There are some parts of the show, where he would be on his own in the sewer, explaining to the TV audience about the furthermore interesting facts and trivia on each era. He would then say: "The rat knows all..." This figure of speech, creates a sense of humour towards the kids, to make them think, that animals actually do know everything. This also encourages them to be smarter with their historical knowledge.
  
I mean, who doesn't love a puppeted animal on a kids' TV show?!😂
 

  


   







Well, I think I've summed up all of my points now. Thank you for taking your time to read through. Please feel free to ask me any further questions about this topic or if you have an interest too. I'll be back soon.

Comments

  1. Never seen Horrible Histories, but it seems a clever way to spark young people's interest in a subject they think is boring. Just mention the subject History to most young people/children and they immediately say "boring" but it's far from that and bringing humour to the subject is very clever. Well said Lauren 😀
    Lynda (Nan)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why looking after your mental health is important during the autumn season

My thoughts on Shappi Khorsandi's book: Scatterbrain (ADHD awareness & insight post)

Top 10 characteristics of resilience