Sociology & social media

Long time, no see everybody! 

As I'm sure you can all figure out immediately, I've been busy keeping myself occupied with other things going on in my life at the moment. All of which, has prevented me from doing any work on here during that time being.

However, if there has to be at least 1 useful aspect from my reasonable absence period, (blog related) it would have to be that I've been curiously researching about sociology. Not just the term itself, but specifically how it can have an impact on the way people choose to behave on social media.

Just to make everyone here aware, I have been doing my research investigation in several articles & blogs which have been published by people who are qualified in the subject, so I know what I will be talking about here.

Plus, this will give me the opportunity to happily educate everybody reading this what these types of people normally do on social media which makes them behave in the way that they do and why.




Example 1:

You are friends with a group of people in your college class on Snapchat, who only like to use it to keep in contact with everybody else, as well as being able to be silly with one another. In this day and age, pretty much every young person uses Snapchat for this prime reason, as they must really like this kind of social interaction with their friends, let alone a group of college classmates being able to see what their classmates are up to.

To make a personal reference to that example, I personally have no intention of using Snapchat, but I see and overhear my classmates at college interact with one another on there almost on an everyday basis. I can empathise how they must enjoy the filter creativity on there, so it encourages their other classmates to take notice of what they enjoy doing on there which makes them conform to their filterness behaviour.



Example 2:

You are connected with some of your friends on Instagram, but all they seem to do is regularly change their profile picture and not post anything. Now, before anyone gets themselves carried away, those types of people may CHOOSE not to post anything on their Instagram, but they may choose not to post anything, as they may feel too insecure about themselves on there. These insecurities can vary from those people feeling worried about what the comments will be - simply not at all interested about wanting to impress themselves to impress others on there.

In terms of talking about conformity, you will see some friends who you are connected to on Instagram, but they all choose to not to post anything. This is the now typically type of behaviour on Instagram which influences their friends to do the same, as they think it's the best way to get in with their friends. Although, to be fair, social conformity is not just used on Instagram, it can be used in all social media platforms. Again, this is what I'm seeing as a personal insight.



 Example 3:

This is one other type of conformity which is now happening across all social media platforms. It is where oneself rarely posts any pictures, but when they do, they must always feel the need to tag people in their posts. However, this is more commonly used in their stories where it can only be visible to everyone they are connected with for 24hrs, as they do not want it to keep them visible forever. The prime reason behind this behaviour, is so the people who oneself decides to tag, wants those people to see and admire these posts, as well as for those wanting the other people who they didn't tag to admire the people who they did tag.





And you know what... I'm beginning to get hooked onto sociology! So much, that I'm thinking of doing a follow-up post in relations to this one!

If anyone reading happens to be interested in sociology, then be sure to keep an eye out for my next post!😉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why looking after your mental health is important during the autumn season

My thoughts on Shappi Khorsandi's book: Scatterbrain (ADHD awareness & insight post)

MIND, you are amazing at what you do, and never give up... Ever...