How it feels to be Neurodiverse

Hello all, I was originally going to make this post during Neurodiversity Celebration Week, but as usual, my work life had got in the way, and I had also went away during the end of last week just to unwind & relax after everything that has happened during my current crazy work life. 

However, since today is World Autism Awareness Day, I thought about mixing them both together to form this titled post.


First thing's first, I myself, am Neurodiverse, so I know first-hand how it feels to be just that. I also feel as though the very topic of Neurodiversity is still underrepresented in this county. Meaning, this is something that needs to be talked about more.

During the first 12 years of my life, I had struggled to make sense of myself. I was oblivious to what I had that made me who I was. It was like my brain was trying so hard to make sense of everything, as if it was a computer but it couldn't... (Although I think it was mainly due to the fact I was probably too young to understand Neurodiversity) As surprising as this may sound, I never felt isolated when interacting with other people, as my mind kept telling me to act "normal" as much as possible in these situations. In contrast, I kept feeling insecure at the same time by fearing that other people will judge or criticise me just because of my Neurodiversity. And believe me, I have experienced this more times than I have bothered to post on here throughout this year so far.

Also during this time, (including to this very day) I always seem to find it difficult to make, as well as maintain friendships with people. Again, my mind just tells me to act normal as much as possible, just for the sake of trying to be able to fit in with a group of people. Back then, (as in many years ago) I always use to think that fitting in with a group of people would help me to feel better about myself. This was a desperate move in a bid to get rid of my insecurities. However, I had eventually came to the realisation that fitting in just increases insecurities.

Nowadays, I enjoy wearing my Neurodiversity with huge pride, as I enjoy seeing the world through a different & a pair of special lens. I personally like to think that my Neurodiversity is a superpower, because it gives me a lot of motivation to go out & be the best person I can be. Yes, I still do typically struggle with fitting in with other crowds, but I like to think that this doesn't necessarily make me a boring person. If anything, I thrive more by flying solo & keeping proactive with an array of different things I happen to be interested in. Although, without even trying to defend myself, I am slowly beginning to lose interest with blogging regularly on here anymore.😂 





*I began this post on the 2/4/24, but didn't finish it until the 5/4/24*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why looking after your mental health is important during the autumn season

My thoughts on Shappi Khorsandi's book: Scatterbrain (ADHD awareness & insight post)

Top 10 characteristics of resilience